There is a lot to love about our community and we have a number of truly stunning images that showcase some pretty awesome features of our group. Features such as the strength of our community and the lifelong friendships formed here, or the fact we get to play such exciting, amazing characters that rival the likes of Captain Kirk himself. The images feature well known and much loved characters such as Captain Kirk, Spock or Janeway and are highly shareable thus presenting an amazing opportunity to showcase our fantastic community and attract new members! The more people who share these images, the bigger the impact.
Joining in is super easy and only takes a few moments!
You can help by visiting this forum thread to find the relevant images and sharing the appropriate image on any social media site you use and/or twitter: http://forums.starbase118.net/index.php?/topic/13323-share-these-today/
Remember to check in on the thread once you have done it and if you provide a link to your post then other members of the fleet can like/share/comment creating even bigger ripples.
You can see some of the images available by clicking them below:
Each month, the Publicity Team posts an easy task you can do to help with our community’s publicity efforts, which are incredibly important in growing our fleet, keeping ships stocked with new members, and ensuring the longevity of our group.
This month, we need your glowing review of our community! These testimonials are used on the main page of our website, and on other recruiting sites to help us draw in new members with genuine reviews. Just submit the form below with your feedback and remember to check in on the forums once you’ve submitted yours.
RPG-Directory is a great, highly active roleplaying forum. Everyone who goes there loves roleplaying as we do and some of them may well be looking for Star Trek roleplays!
Helping with this project is super simple, and we’ll walk you through it below. The basic idea is to create an account, post at least 15 good posts (not one word bumps), update your signature so it links back to our main website, then continue posting just as regularly as you can. Doing this will help us create a presence there and the more we get noticed, the more chance someone will see it who is looking for what we’re offering.
Step 1: Setting up a basic account at RPG-Directory
- Go to http://rpg-directory.com/index.php and click ‘Create Account’ at the top right of the screen.
- Read the rules really carefully. Once you’ve read and understand the rules click accept at the bottom of the page.
- Fill in the registration form, which asks for a username, password and valid email at a minimum – account settings can be set now or later. You have to complete two steps to verify you’re not a robot. Once you are happy press ‘submit registration’.
- Complete your registration by going to the email you registered with clicking the link in an activation email sent to you. There are instructions on how to complete this manually should the link fail to work for any reason.
Step 2: Getting your first 15 posts
- Introduce yourself to the community here: http://rpg-directory.com/forum-29.html Remember to check in on the project forum once you’ve done this so other RPG-D members can welcome you too!
- Welcoming other newbies is a super quick and easy way to get your first few posts!
- Browse the board for interesting discussions. The forum is very large and has a range of topics that might be appealing from roleplaying, literature, writing or more.
- Check out this handy post (http://rpg-directory.com/thread-34475.html) which has quick links to other places of interest. Once you’ve joined in a few interesting conversations you’ll be at 15 posts or more before you know it.
Step 3: Updating your profile and signature
- Click on your username at the top right of the screen to reveal forum options.
- Hover over UserCP and then go down to ‘Change Signature’ and click that option.
- If you see a page that indicates “You do not have permission to access this page.” You’ve either not posted 15 sims yet, or must wait a little longer for your account settings to be updated.
- You may use a text or graphics signature depending on your personal preference but I’d advice against animated banners as a lot of people find them highly distracting and annoying (something we don’t want people to associate with us.)
- Signatures should be no more than 750px wide and 500px high although I recommend something less high otherwise the fact the signature dominates the page, especially for those using mobile devices will be an irritant. 250-300px high seems more reasonable to me.
- Signatures should at the very least link back to UFOP: StarBase 118 Star Trek RPG (Using this URL: https://www.starbase118.net/)
Finally: Remember to check in to let us know how you got on!
We’re asking for your help in creating the all important ‘social buzz’ that helps to bring new visitors to our site. We’ve had a Facebook presence for a long time now, but means very little if we don’t gain a strong following. Here’s how you can help get the word out about our great fleet, and hopefully pull in some new members.
This task is comprised of multiple, small tasks as follows:
Connect with Our Page:
Head to our official Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/ufopsb118
Click the ‘Like’ button near the top of the page. This will connect you with our Facebook page and you’ll see some of our posts in your news feed from then on.
Like and Share Our Posts:
This is where you can have the biggest impact. As you see interesting posts from us, click the ‘Like’ and ‘Share’ buttons under individual posts. Write a little something about the post you are sharing, for example what you find interesting about it and submit it to your feed to share it with the world (and all of your friends!). You can do this with as many or as few posts as you wish. Remember, something new gets posted almost daily, so this task can be completed each time a new article is posted giving you many easy opportunities to help in a meaningful way.
Let Us Know What You Did:
Remember to return here to post the results of what you did. If you liked our page, let us know. If you liked and shared a number of articles then post that too! Don’t be shy; take credit for your work, as it only takes a moment to do.
Your help and support with this task is greatly appreciated as it helps bring new members to the best Star Trek RPG out there.
Each month, the Publicity Team posts an easy task you can do to help with our community’s publicity efforts, which are incredibly important in growing our fleet, keeping ships stocked with new members, and ensuring the longevity of our group. This month, we’re going to show you how to join us on TREKSPACE. Participating in Star Trek forums and groups like this is useful in piquing peoples’ interests and reaching the very specific audience who wants to find us. It only takes a few minutes, and can have an outsized impact on future recruiting, so let’s get started!
Please follow each step below and then check in once you’ve completed the project to let us know how you got on!
1) Go to http://www.trekspace.org/ and “sign up” by clicking the link at the top right hand side of the screen. It only takes a couple of minutes and is as simple as supplying an email address (make sure its valid as you’ll have to verify it in the next stage), password, date of birth and filling in the CAPTCHA, or you can sign up through linking facebook or twitter which is even faster.
2) Go to your email and click the link in the verification email that has been sent. It will take you to a page with the following:
Fill out your details as appropriate, including a link back to the fleet main website (www.starbase118.net/) where is says website then press “Join”
3) Join our Trekspace Group here: http://www.trekspace.org/group/ufopstarbase118 and post in the “Greetings Room” discussion thread.
4) Join the conversation by finding something that interests you and participating in forum discussions here: http://www.trekspace.org/forum. The more regularly you can do this, the greater the impact you’ll have on our recruitment efforts!
Remember to check in here to share your success!
As part of our ongoing efforts to spread the word about the fun and excitement of simming, this month’s Publicity Project is all about finding new friends on writing forums! We have a list of suitable sites, so all you have to do is select the one that seems most interesting to you and sign up for an account. Or if there’s nothing there that really grabs you, why not check out last month’s writing forums outreach project to help you find something suitable that does?
Anyone can participate, here’s what to do:
1) Select a site to join from below (or find another site to add to the list):
2) Create an account with your chosen website.
3) Introduce yourself in their newbie welcome areas, if they have one.
4) Have a look around for interesting conversations and join in.
5) Before you post any links back to UFOP: Starbase 118, make sure you are familiar with the site’s rules surrounding linking to other site, the use of signatures etc. Once you’ve joined in some conversations update your profile and add a link back to our website. After a couple of weeks of posting add a link to our website to your signature (if it is permitted by the forum’s rules.)
The goal here is to become a part of the community, so regular participation is important. Even just a couple of minutes spent each week replying to an interesting topic will help raise your profile with your chosen forum and in turn raises our profile too, so try to drop in and participate regularly if you can. We’ve already attracted new members in this way so we know it works, all we need now is your help.
As part of our ongoing efforts to spread the word about the fun and excitement of simming, this month’s Publicity Project is all about finding new friends on writing forums!
Your task is to seek out reputable (professional-looking), active (thousands of members or more) message boards for amateur writers and investigate opportunities for engagement and advertising (in post signature, in a special forum, in banner ads). Joining in with this important publicity work is super easy. Just follow these instructions:
- Open this spreadsheet, so you can see what writing forums we’ve already identified. We’re looking for writing forums that aren’t already listed.
- To find suitable forums, use one of these handy search strings (include all the quotes):
You’re looking specifically for forums where you can easily register and post something about our game. That means you’ll need to read the rules of the message board and see if they have special rules about where you can post announcements regarding other websites.For forums that allow link-posts that direct people back to our site: We need to find out the exact rules so we don’t commit a faux pas, and we do blend in with the forum community.Register an account and aim to post at least once a week in interesting threads, and provide good contributions that make us look good!Once you’ve spent some time contributing to threads, set up your forum signature with a link back to our main website: https://www.starbase118.net.
- “writing” + powered by vbulletin
- “writing forum”
- “writing” + “board”
Once you’re done, make sure to check-in on our own forums in the thread about this project and let us know how it went!