Every year, we take time to recognise our members’ achievements and accomplishments during a week-long Award Ceremony taking place on the StarBase 118 forums. This is a core tradition of our group that began in 1996, just two years after Fleet Admiral Tristan Wolf founded UFOP: StarBase 118, and has been a staple of our cohesive morale every year since.
Here’s how it works: You nominate your fellow community members for awards that recognise their hard work and accomplishments in simming and OOC engagement throughout the previous year. A judging panel made up of staff members from the Captain’s Council will analyse your nominations and will select the winners.
We’ll begin our annual awards ceremony, a multi-day event, in late June to award the winners and recognise all of their hard work.
Here are a few things to remember for nominations:
- Only one officer each year in the entire fleet receives Duty Post, Special, and Staff honours, so they’re highly coveted and definitely for the best of the best.
- Check out the description for each award on the wiki to make sure your intended nominee is qualified to receive it.
- General Awards on your ship are hugely important, as only you know who on your ship is worthy of certain ones! Get them nominations in and see them get recognised for making your ship stories epic.
- A list of previous awardees may be seen in the Hall of Honor. Keep in mind that certain awards were created relatively recently, therefore there may only be a few recipients. Nominate and possibly add to that list!
- Don’t forget that your Commanding Officer works tirelessly behind the scenes to keep the fleet and community running. Their endless hours of devotion keep things going smoothly and they deserve as much love as we can heap upon them.
We rely on every member of the fleet to submit nominations so that we may honour the members of our community who put in the time and effort to make this an enjoyable place to be. As a result, we require your help! If you don’t nominate your peers and mentors for awards, they won’t get recognised. We want to urge everyone to be as creative and expressive with their nominations — there is no penalty for submitting a nomination that does not eventually win the award.
Historically, ships with fewer nominations tend to have fewer award winners – so don’t be shy! Throw them in and give your fellow fleet a chance!
Multiple nominations from members of a ship for any particular award might help convey to reviewers that a certain individual is truly deserving, but one outstanding nomination covering all the salient points can also be the decisive factor in someone winning an award.
If you have any questions, talk to your Commanding Officer or First Officer, or head into the chatroom’s #2022-awards channel to ask others.
Click here to start your award nominations now! Nominations for this year’s ceremony close on Thursday, June 2 at 11:45pm Pacific time. Any nominations submitted after that deadline will be considered for the 2023 ceremony.