- Are you interested in starship design theory?
- Do you own all the blueprints and technical manuals, visit ex-astris-scientia.org, and still can’t get enough?
- Do you like researching and coming up with specifications for the various starship classes of Starfleet?
- Are you interested in developing a “starship creator” application?
The Advanced Starship Design Bureau is looking for any person (not just engineers) who would like to join the ASDB to collaborate on creating the Starship Designer: a new tool/game to design starships.
The Starship Designer is built on the premise that the specifications should mean something and that the effects of chosen components on a ship’s performance should be easily seen to the designer. Furthermore, the Starship Designer is built to be a fun, interactive process, providing instant feedback to the user on the effect of his or her choices. By creating a starship design model that is built on a set of constraints and component interaction rules, designing a starship becomes a game itself.
We want you!
We’ve built a basic prototype with placeholder specifications for the basic starship components. Our vision is for someone to be able to pick a class, see a “stock” set of specifications for that class which they can further customize if they wish. They could also start with a custom hull/class and design their own ship entirely from scratch.
Whom we are looking for:
- People interested in starship tech who want to collaborate on figuring out specifications for classes and starship components
Even if you aren’t as well-versed with knowing your EPS from your ODN, we’re also interested in:
- People with real-world tech knowledge who want to share their insight into design and engineering theory
- People with web/app creation knowledge
- Artists interested in creating MSDs (those LCARS cutaways you see on the bridge and in engineering) and other artwork for the project