We have collected $1,208 (89.88%) of our $1,344 goal for the 2017 Hosting Costs campaign.
It costs about $1,344 a year to run the site. Here’s what that money goes toward:
- Domains: $105 per year. We have seven domain names that we renew each year to protect our brand.
- Web hosting: $850 per year. Our forums, wiki, and other peripheral areas of the site are hosted on a Virtual Private Server.
- SSL certificate: $100 per year. Using an SSL certificate on our server ensures that our traffic is secured, increases our search engine rankings, and creates trust with visitors.
- Forum licensing: $50 per year. This allows us to run our forum software and get regular security updates as necessary.
- Backup: $120 per year. Daily, weekly, and monthly backups of our site.
- GravityForms: $99 per year. A website plugin that makes administering our dozens of forms easier, as well as cutting down on spam trafficking.
- Website caching: $20 per year. To help our main website load as quickly as possible, we use a plugin which requires a yearly subscription.
We also occasionally require expert assistance with website issues and hire freelance programmers or designers, which can cost $100 to $1,000 depending on our needs. Any money donated beyond our normal yearly costs goes toward the development and emergency fund.