We all get stuck sometimes and need a jump start when it comes to really giving depth to our characters. To help you along, these 25 questions have been compiled and can help you put your mind on the right track. We all want to let our characters grow and become beings of their own. To aid in the creation of characters who really are intriguing, answer the following and see where you end up!
1. What physical limitations does your character have? If they do not have any, which physical limitation would they most fear befalling them?
2. What does your voice sound like?
3. Which words and/or phrases do you use very frequently?
4. What quirks, strange mannerisms, annoying habits, or other defining characteristics does your character possess? How might another character identify them from a distance if they couldn’t see them properly or hear them speak?
5. What is your earliest memory?
6. What do you consider to be the most important event of your life so far?
7. Who has had the most influence on you?
8. When was the time you were the most frightened?
9. Are you able to kill? Under what circumstances do you find killing to be acceptable or unacceptable?
10. In your opinion, what is the most evil thing any human being could do?
11. How honest are you about your thoughts and feelings? Do you hide your true self from others, and in what way?
12. Who or what would you die for (or otherwise go to extremes for)?
13. Who is the person you respect the most, and why?
14. Who would you turn to if you were in desperate need of help, and why?
15. Do you trust anyone to protect you? Who, and why?
16. When would you argue people and when would you avoid conflict?
17. What is your favorite color? Is there a reason for this?
18. How do you spend a typical Saturday night?
19. How do you deal with stress?
20. What are your pet peeves?
21. What is your greatest strength as a person?
22. What is your greatest weakness?
23. What are your reasons for being an adventurer (or doing the strange and heroic things that RPG characters do)? Are your real reasons for doing this different than the ones you tell people in public? (If so, detail both sets of reasons…)
24. If you knew you were going to die in 24 hours, name three things you would do in the time you had left.
25. If you could, what advice would you, the player, give to your character? (You might even want to speak as if he or she were sitting right here in front of you, and use proper tone so he or she might heed your advice…)
(Compiled and Developed by: Captain Diego Herrera)