Today, we celebrate the 25th anniversary of the founding of our community!
In that time, families have been formed as members become friends, and then partners, and then parents. Other members have joined as teens and then departed, to return years later as adults who had fond memories of simming in their youth. Some have found the opportunity to write for a character a way of understanding themselves in a new light, allowing them to become their true selves. And many who’ve been here have become better writers, have learned about leadership, and have honed communication skills that helped build their careers in real life.
Through all these years, there has been great stories told. There have been fights about community policies. There have been many people who’ve come and gone.
What remains is the fellowship, the idea that we can come together for a common purpose and find solace, find laughter, find joy.
What do you love about our community? What have you learned? What keeps you here? Click here to head to the forums to tell us all about it.
See also: “20 Years of Star Trek Simming,” published June 15, 2014.
Please welcome our newest Academy graduate to the UFOP: StarBase 118 fleet: Molko Trevinien!
The staff of UFOP: SB118 would like to congratulate all who saw their hard work and dedication pay off this month. Please be sure to congratulate these members when you see them around the forums and chat room!
- Maddi Hyden to Lieutenant
- Esa Darkkdust to Lieutenant JG
- Kiliak Jo to Lieutenant
- Alexander Williams to Commander
- Jona ch’Ranni to Lieutenant
- Quentin Collins to Lieutenant JG
- Chloe Waters to Lieutenant JG
- Blaidd Vescori to Lieutenant JG
- Jansen Orrey to Lt. Commander
- Geoffrey Teller to Lieutenant
- Addison MacKenzie to Lieutenant JG
Please welcome our newest Academy graduate to the UFOP: StarBase 118 fleet: Caitríona Cayne!
This month’s fleetwide OOC chat will be all about our upcoming annual Awards Ceremony! This is your last chance to ask about award nominations before they close on Monday, and talk with others about the upcoming events. Show off your avatar in progress or let us know how your character will be dressed.
This chat will begin on Sunday, June 9 at 10am Pacific, 1pm Eastern, 6pm UTC. Click here to see the start time in your zone, and add this event to your calendar.
All members of the fleet, and those in training, are welcome to join us in the Discord chat room. See you there!
Awards Ceremony season is upon us, and it’s time to get all dressed up for the big event!
As we launch our ceremony, we’ll encourage everyone to change their forum avatar to their character wearing glamorous attire like the kind you’d see on the red carpet.
There’s no need to get things perfect – lots of players just find a picture of their character’s actor somewhere on the web and use that, like so:
But if you’re looking for something more spiffy, you can also head to the Graphics Requests forum and open a new thread asking for some help. Make sure you leave plenty of time for the team there to help get something that works – best to start earlier than later!
Once you have an image you like, you can change your forum avatar by following these instructions.
Please welcome our newest Academy graduates to the UFOP: StarBase 118 fleet: Jason Holza, Tesan Aeryn, Rebecca Owens, and Gervan Bollore!
Every year, we take time to celebrate the contributions and accomplishments of our members. This is a core tradition that was started in 1996, just two years after our group was founded, and has continued every year since then.
Here’s how it works: You nominate your fellow community members for awards that will honor their hard work and achievements in simming and OOC participation over the last year. Members of the staff will review your nominations and select the best ones for the ceremony. In late June, we’ll start our annual awards ceremony, a multi-day event to present the awards to the winners and recognize all of their hard work.
Ready to get started? Click here to open the award nomination panel. You’ll find full instructions, including a link to a list of all the awards and their descriptions.
Here are a few things to keep in mind about nominations:
- Duty Post, Special, and Staff awards are given to only one officer per year in the entire fleet.
- Only one person per crew can receive each of the General awards in each ceremony.
- You can find a list of past recipients on the wiki in the Hall of Honor. Remember that some awards were created just last year, so there may be no previous recipients for those awards.
- Don’t forget that your Commanding Officer also does a lot of hard work behind the scenes to keep the fleet and the community running. Our staff are not paid for their work, and it is their endless hours of devotion that keep things going smoothing. Keep this in mind as you are submitting your nominations and consider nominating your Commanding Officer for an award as well!
We rely on each and every member of the fleet to submit nominations so we can recognize the best members of our community who are putting in the time and effort to make this a fun place to be. So we need your help! If you don’t nominate your peers and mentors for awards, they won’t get recognized. We want to encourage everyone to be really free with their nominations – there’s no penalty in putting in a nomination that doesn’t ultimately get the award. But ships that have fewer nominations tend to end up having fewer award winners – so don’t be shy! Multiple nominations from members of a ship for any given award can help send a signal to reviewers that a certain person is really deserving, but also one really great nomination can be the deciding factor for someone to win an award.
If you have any questions, talk to your Commanding Officer or First Officer, or head into the chatroom’s #awards2019 channel to ask other members.
Click here to start your award nominations now! Nominations close on Monday, June 10 at 11:45pm Pacific time.
If this is your awards ceremony with us, welcome! This is a tradition that dates back to 1996, wherein we honor the people of the fleet who are simming really well, or contributing OOC.
To determine who wins awards, we ask for members across the fleet to nominate their fellow crewmates and ship’s staff to recognize their great work in simming and OOC activities. Every member of the fleet is allowed to make nominations for the following award classes:
- General awards: Any member can receive a general award. One general award, per vessel, is allowed per ceremony.
- Duty Post awards: Duty post awards are awards given to individuals in a designated duty post, department, or division. Only one recipient from the entire fleet is selected for recognition with a duty post award each year.
- Special awards: A special award is an OOC award that is awarded during the annual fleet awards ceremony. Any member can receive a special award. However, only one of each award is allowed per ceremony.
- Staff awards: A staff award is an OOC award reserved for officers ranked commander and above. Only one of each award is given per ceremony.
We highly encourage you to include a sim attachment for nominations on General and Duty Post award nominations. All nominations require a well thought-out explanation for the nomination. Keep in mind that in most cases, your award nomination may be vying against another nomination for someone else. For example: If two members of your fleet are nominated for the Prantares Ribbon, your nomination will have to be good enough to ensure your candidate wins!
So start thinking about those nominations now, and get read for the nomination period to open next week, on Monday, May 20. Bookmarking great sims and drafting some rough nomination text will help you get a jump-start.
More information about our yearly awards is available in the Hall of Honors on the wiki. Click through to learn more now.
Please welcome our newest Academy graduates to the UFOP: StarBase 118 fleet: R’rraww Hontrú, Tamyr Ioe, and Qrath!