Last week I prepared an email to the fleet asking for help in getting us to our 2017 donation drive goal. I also asked the Captains Council to help me get the word out about the end of our donation drive.
Of course, the members of the Captains Council couldn’t wait until I had sent that email out, and decided to help us get over the 2017 finish line! Huge thanks to Alex Blair, and Toni Turner, both of whom are repeat donors.
But we’ve got a big mountain to climb as we start working on next year. Our hosting bill comes due every May 1st, so as soon as I get this one paid, we’ve got to start thinking about the next one.
Can you help us get our next donation drive started by joining Alex Blair, Toni Turner, and all of our recent donors, in giving to our community hosting fund? Click here to get started – it only takes a few moments and your donation is processed securely.
It costs about $1,455 a year to run the site. Here’s what that money goes toward:
- Domains: $140 per year. We have 10 domain names that we renew each year to protect our brand.
- Web hosting: $850 per year. Our forums, wiki, and other peripheral areas of the site are hosted on a Virtual Private Server.
- Forum licensing: $50 per year. This allows us to run our forum software and get regular security updates as necessary.
- Backup: $240 per year. Daily backups of our site.
- GravityForms: $99 per year. A website plugin that makes administering our dozens of forms easier, as well as cutting down on spam trafficking.
- Website caching: $20 per year. To help our main website load as quickly as possible, we use a plugin which requires a yearly subscription.
- Credit card fees: $56 per year. For each donation we receive, it costs us 2.9% + 30¢, which comes out to about 4% of our total donation goal, which we factor into our overall goal so we don’t dip into our community savings.
I’m so grateful to each and every one of our fabulous members who have helped us cover these costs to keep elements of our site humming smoothly. For 2017, they were:
- Akoni Soriano
- Alex Blair
- Antero Flynn
- Arturo Maxwell
- Cory Stoyer
- Damian Wynter
- Frank O’Malley
- Irina Pavlova
- Jo Marshall
- John Nugra
- Krindo Pandorn
- Maxwell Traenor
- Oddas Aira
- Quinn Reynolds
- Raissa Moonsong
- Raj Blueheart
- Randal Shayne
- Roshanara Rahman
- Sal Taybrim
- Trellis Vondaryan
- Tristan Wolf
Many of these donors gave repeatedly throughout the year. Again, many thanks to them for their generosity.
Can you help start our 2018 donation drive on a roll, by donating $5, $25, or even $50? Your donation is securely processed and it only takes a minute or two to complete.