The writing challenges occur on a bi-monthly basis and give members of the fleet a chance to really show their creative writing ability. This area explains the guidelines of the contest, and also showcases the winning entries of each challenge.
- To participate, an entrant must create a new thread in the challenge forum. The subject of the thread must be the title of the story.
- All works must be original and entirely the work of the entrant. No co-authoring.
- Entrants are welcome to create any character they so desire, but they must be from the Star Trek universe. No “canon” characters allowed. (i.e.- No one who has been on a show or in a movie.)
- Length: No more than 3000 words accepted.
- Entries posted after the end date will be moved to the “Character Cafe” forum where they can be read, but not considered for the challenge.
Regarding Previous Winners
- A challenge winner may not participate in the challenge directly after the challenge they just won. Runners-up, or Honorable Mention recipients are exempt from this rule.
- Any entrant who wins two challenges in one calendar year will be considered the “Champion” for their year. If there is more than one, they will all be considered “Champions.”
- An entrant who wins their second challenge in one calendar year must wait three challenges before they may again enter their work. For example:
- Jan/Feb ’00: Jane
- Mar/Apr ’00: John
- May/Jun ’00: Jane
- Jul/Aug ’00: Tom
- Sep/Oct ’00: Susie
- Nov/Dec ’00: John
- In the setup above, Jane cannot enter the competition until Jan/Feb of ’01. John cannot enter another competition until Jul/Aug ’01. Both are considered Champions. Both must judge at least one competition before entering again.
The winner receives a mini-banner for their forum signature denoting that they have won the challenge, as well as a large banner for their ship’s website. Each winner is also announced on the Community News, and may choose the next challenge’s topic.